C-STEM 1-Week Institute on Integrating Robotics into Math, CS, and STEAM Education
Click to view the list of upcoming 1 Week Institutes and Register
|(Due to our development of new innovative educational technologies and effective professional development strategy, we are able to pack the contents of the previous two-week summer institute and deliver them through this 1-week institute.)
This intensive 1-week institute is designed to provide professional development for K-14 teachers on the principles of robotics, coding, and physical computing with Arduino and robotics, and how to integrate them into STEM classes. Teachers learn computer programming, computational thinking, and problem-solving with coding using freely available C-STEM Studio, RoboBlockly, and Ch Arduino. Teachers will learn specific teaching pedagogy and strategies for integrating coding, robotics, and physical computing activities into math, science and engineering curricula, as well as how to support the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), Computer Science (CS) Standards using the C-STEM Math-ICT Curriculum with interactive computing, programming, and robotics, and physical computing. Teachers also learn how to reinforce mathematical concepts with practical applications via hands-on computing and robotics activities. These computing activities reinforce logical reasoning and critical thinking skills, as students learn how to write functions, and visualize, process, save, and plot experimental and hypothetical data. Teachers will get first-hand experience of C-STEM RoboPlay Competition tasks and advise their students during this level-playing field robot competition.
This professional development supports the following C-STEM curriculum:
Each participant must be able to bring their own laptop computer. To participate in the 1-Week Institute, we also require that you have the necessary software and equipment to implement in the coming school year, including access 2-3 times a week to a lab with Ch Professional software installed and at least two Linkbots. Over the past five years of providing this professional development, we have seen first hand how an enthusiastic teacher can be hindered in implementation without these two items.
*For all C-STEM events, you must first register for the site before you can register for the event. Click HERE to become a registered user
Then click here to view upcoming 1-Week Institutes and to Register and deadline for registraion. Space is limited; please sign up early to reserve your spot.
Cost: $780/teacher due one week before the Institute.
Payment for the training has to be done by check or PO pay to “The Regents of the University of California (UC Davis C-STEM)”.
- We must have received your payment one week before instruction has begun in order for you to be able to participate. Checks can be brought in person in the morning of the first day of instruction, 30 minutes before the instruction.
- Registration covers instruction, teaching materials, and a license for Ch Professional Edition for a laptop of the registered participant valid through September 30 of the following year. Other meals, transportation, and lodging are not included.
- Each Participant will receive pdf copies of three C-STEM textbooks.
- Participants will need to provide their own Linkbot robots and accessories during the training. If Linkbots and accessories are not available, they can be added to the registration fees.
- Attendees will receive a certificate of recognition as a C-STEM Certified Educator.
- A Laptop running Windows XP or higher or Mac OS 10.7 or higher is necessary during the training. Please bring a laptop with you for participation in the academy.
- You need to download and install the following latest version of C-STEM Software from our downloads page prior to your arrival on the day of training. You must have administrative privileges on the laptop to install software.
- No refunds after instruction begins. Any cancellations must be received in writing one week prior to the start of instruction.
- Optional $145 for 2-4 Continuing Education Unit quarter credits from UC Davis Extension are available for professional development conducted at UC Davis.
- Certificate of Professional Development Credit hours upon training completion.
Interested in hosting a C-STEM 1-Week Institute in your area?
If your county office of education or school district would like to host a 1-Week Institute for STEM teachers in your region, please contact us.
Testimonials from Teachers Attended 2018 Institute
“This was incredible. I have been to A LOT of trainings, and this was by far the best!” — Allen Thoe, Computer Science Teacher, Citrus Valley High School, California
“I really loved this training. In over 20 years of teaching I can’t remember another one I enjoyed so much.”— Sandy Andersen, Math Teacher, La Sierra High School, California
Additional summer accommodations can be found at http://confhsg.ucdavis.edu/summervisitorhousing/.
Note: If you opt to do summer visitor housing, you must find accommodations for June 13-14 as the summer housing will not open until the June 15th.